Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Rwanda - Update 2...

(writen on July 13th)

I am soon going on three weeks here in Rwanda, though most days it seems like I have been here longer. The people that I am meeting all have incredible stories and I am learning a lot form them. The majority of my Rwandese friends here on the base lived through the genocide. Their stories are often heartbreaking but the way they have come out on the other side still being so loving, and forgiving astounds me. We went to the Genocide Memorial with two of our Rwandan friends this past weekend. It is a very powerful place. It takes you through the years leading up to the genocide and what has happened after it. It even tells some people and children’s stories that both survived and were killed during the genocide.

This past week we have visited three ministries. We went to Compassion International, World Vision, Cards From Africa (
http://www.cardsfromafrica.com/. Cards from Africa was a really cool place. They employ youth who are orphaned and now are the heads of households caring for their younger siblings. They pay them at a fair trade price and you can even order from them worldwide, online. Click on the link above to check them and their products for sale out.

This upcoming week we will be visiting a children’s ministry, an HIV/AIDS ministry, a street children's ministry, orphanages and a returnee/refugee camp. We will also be attending a wedding. The team and myself are continuing with the language classes and it is coming along slowly. Thank you so much for all your thoughts and prayers.

My mailing address here is:

Trisha Cullington
YWAM Kigali
Box 3159
Kigali, Rwanda

Our team has also started a blog. The link is
www.crs2007rwanda.blogspot.com . I am the team’s communication person so I will be the one writing and posting all the blogs. Feel free to keep track of the team on there.

My phone number is 03027087. The country code is 250. Look online to see what other codes you have to dial.

No comments: